Wednesday, May 6, 2009

the long take

So our class did a one min long take using the Bolex hand crank 16mm camera. It was a saturday shoot and we just went to the school for a couple hours so we could shoot and develop the film in the same day.  It rained and was cold, but it was ok, it made me more excited about snuggling up on my couch later with a blanket, so i had that to look forward to. This project was a lot of fun despite the weather and the misunderstandings. I think that we had a really great idea and a really get setup with costumes and actors. there was a lot of room to just get crazy and mess around, i like that freedom to do whatever you want because I feel that it opens people up and adds a lot of character to the film. I'm really glad that everyone got on board with us and was willing to dress up all crazy and dance with us in the rain! I'm still pretty upset that we were confused about how long to run the camera, I think that slowing the pace down a little would have made such a huge difference! It is what it is though, so I can't really stress over it! I still think that our final piece was pretty awesome, so it's ok. I feel really bad though that Taylor's group's didn't come out at first but at the same time if it hadn't than I wouldn't have been able to do the thriller in their 2nd one. so i guess that's a fair trade.  I wish that I would've been present when you went over how to load the Bolex because that would have been really helpful that last couple weekends that i've been checking it out - both times the film jammed so that was really a bummer. yea, just having more knowledge of how to operate the camera and what all the switches did that would have been great. after taking this class and cinematography I really want to incorporate film more into my projects, just the style and the way it looks adds so much dimension to whatever the subject is.  I need to purchase one, but I'll have to get some advice before I do that so you might be hearing from me. The developing was really cool too though, again I wish that i was more aware about what I was doing because i think that would be really cool to do that outside of class. I have a hard time sometimes taking what i learn in class and bringing it into my home, it's kind of not really the best place to get creative and messy with that stuff, makes me nervous. I wish that you did have a 6x1 2 class so that I could audit it and get to do all that stuff over again! or we can just become really great friends and you and shannon can teach me all you wisdom about experimental filmmaking. 
I love the way that the film looked, for real, I've been trying to recreate that but I seem to have really bad luck when i use film, it's pretty shitty. I know that the more I practice the more confident and better I'll be with it but film is expensive! it's really sad and hard to deal with when you spend so much money to buy the film and then it is all ruined in the camera and you don't even know what happened to make it that way! it's brutal, breaks my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment