Sunday, April 19, 2009

about that Molotov man

I think that art should be shared and celebrated without the involvement of money sucking lawyers. I mean really, why is everyone always trying to make a buck, pick a fight, and gains rights to some shit that should be welcomed and respected! The painting is a representation of the photograph by Susan and I feel that she should be credited, but just as Susan can sell prints of her photograph I think that Joy should be able to legally sell her artwork prints. I think that it is really ridiculous the amount of greed in this world today and it really does detract from the purity and expressiveness that is art.  I feel like artists should work together to create pieces and movements that can show their conceptualization of a subject in all ways possible.  A photograph says one thing, and a painting can create another emotion. One person can see it one way and another something totally different.  We are all unique and we should work to coexist and accept each others artistic style and ways of expressing that.  I like to look at other art work to gain inspiration for myself, often times copying something to look exactly like another work of art.  I don't sell it but I still celebrate it as my own.  It is my own interpretation of what the original piece was.  I feel like if we were all forced away from using other people work as an example to work from or gain inspiration than it would restrict the amount of people and personalities that could have come together over it. I feel like they dealt with the situation well, and it probably was just the lawyer that wanted to pick a fight and make some money because that's all this world is about.  
This is completely relevant to the project that we are working on right now, the found footage edit, and I am having a lot of trouble trying to develop a concept that I feel good about and will come across well and clean, and I just don't know.  I don't feel like I keep up enough with the media to really get a good topic to make my film on. I could see myself completely copying something that someone has already done like Valdez or PEZ and not even knowing because I'm not in the loop.  Anyways though I feel like whatever I would create, whether the footage is archived or already been worked into some culture jamming collage, it would still be unique to me.  That's pretty much my moral is that everything that I create even if it is a recreation is unique to me and my style. It's up to me to interpret and express art in my own way whether is is similar to someone elses or not.  People should look for the differences and try to understand them and just recognize that they are there before assuming that two things are copies of one another therefore they have the same meaning. Art is always evolving in it's content and it's meaning.  there is no clear, universal definition of art that everyone can agree on, the human element is what determines their our meaning of the word art, along with what works and what doesn't. so don't worry about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment