Thursday, February 12, 2009

sounds like

Chion is so right about the way that sound creates mood and an possibly an entire different meaning when paired when an image on screen. of course everyone in hollywood wants to make it seem as real as possible even though it is entirely made up in post production, i like the idea of putting sound to things that don't necessarily make that noise.  But the way that sound moves me when I watch a movie is a big impact on the way that i interpret the film. like scary movies for instance, i dont' really like watching them, they scare me! I jump in the movie theater and I cover my eyes when gross things happen on screen but when that doesn't work i just walk out...like i had to in one of the late saw movies because even after covering my eyes the sound of him crushing his ankle with the back of the toilet i couldn't take it...and i have to leave. and usually when i jump in scary movies, everyone always says it's because someone jumps out at you but really its the sudden loud banging noise or screeching or just really the sudden burst of sound that legitimately frightens me...and makes me jump. I liked the idea of when he was talking about how the sound can be indifferent to the image and that creates an intensified perception rather than an apathetic one, it really makes the viewer more aware of what is happening on screen because the music doesn't allude to anything in particular. even though i am aware of the ways that sound can affect the way a movie is perceived i'm still not sure how to capture that, or make that happen for my films. in the rhythmic edit that we are getting ready to turn in i want to create my own soundtrack that in itself has a rhythm too but i'm not very good with garage band and i'm not very musicly inclined with any instruments (except the tamborine) but who knows, hopefully i'll be able to create something that aides in the excitement of joselyn's actions on screen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment